Sunday, January 08, 2006

Fishing and snorkeling under a bridge!

Today was our first day on Palau! Everything is great! We decided to walk to a bridge that we drove over on the way from the airport. We got a little more than we bargained for! It was a few miles on a winding road in the hot sun. As we walked, several cars slowed down and honked at us, motioning us to get in the car. We were a little hesitant as you can imagine. We thought perhaps there is an unofficial taxi service here and we would have ot pay once we got in. Anyway, we finally got to the bridge and just about then realized that we had forgotten to put sunscreen on. Jason decided to find a shady spot to take pictures and observe the happenings while I snorkeled. Here is me coming back from snorkeling:














It is spawning season around here and all the fish are a little territorial. I didn't know this when I got in the water. There was a cute little pink fish that got really close to me and was just staring. I was happy to observe him so close and I thought him curious. Then he charged me! I screamed through my snorkel and stood up in the water. I felt a little silly so I got back in. :] There he was again and this time when he charged, he actually bit me! His mouth was so tiny that it didn't do any damage but it was startling none the less. Everytime we go snorkeling now we steer clear of those little guys!
It started to rain so we huddled under the bridge to keep dry. It was a pretty cool tropical storm and only lasted a little while. We remarked how we never thought that we would be huddling under a bridge during our honeymoon!













After it stopped raining, we went and sat next to a little girl who was fishing. You could look down into the water and see all the fish fighting over the bait until the hook was stripped. There was a couple bigger fish that kept coming around and the little girl was shooting for a bite from them. Finally she got a big one on the hook and promptly shouted for her dad to reel it in:
On the walk back from the bridge, another person stopped and asked us if we wanted a ride. He had a pick up truck and we were tired so we decided to go for it. It turns out he recognized us from the plane the night before. The ride back was great! Really breezy and nice. The pastor and his wife here are letting us use their bikes so we don't have to worry about walking everywhere now. Those bikes are now indespensible!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that your pics are coming through now! They are great. Makes me feel like I am there with you, almost.