Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Hello, you are fat....

Oddly Jason and I are sick of people yelling hello to us. Shop owners will yell "hello" to get your attention so you will come in their shop. Taxi and tuk-tuk drivers will even yell across the road "Hello! Taxi?" Taxi drivers sit around on the street next to their cars about every two feet, so you can imagine that we are SICK of the words hello, taxi, and tuk-tuk. I personally am also sick of people thinking I am a big fattie.

In Vietnam, I asked Jason's favorite tailor, Yen, to make me some courderoy pants. I wanted them to have buckly type things in the front but she immediately resisited. "No, too busy. That is only for people with small bellies. Too much in front. You have to have a small stomach to have buckles." Blushing a bit, I said I wanted them anyway but she insisted that my stomach was too big. Even though she took my measurments, the first time I tried the pants on, I could fit a bowling ball down the front of them. She must not have trusted her measurements to be correct for such a giant. Luckily she fixed them up for me after I had a good time telling her that they were way to big!

Today, Jason and I went to book our scuba diving trip for tomorrow and the lady was getting our sizes for our BCDs (those vest things that you wear while diving). She eyed Jason and said, "Probably a medium because you are slender" After staring at my scuba card for a long while to make sure it wasn't fake, she looked at me and guffawed "You are bigger than Jason!! We can probably squeeze you into a medium! HA HA HA!!" She said it so nonchalantly, like it wasn't untactful at all.

Don't worry, I don't need reassurance that I am slender. Although, Jason and I were just talking about how much less healthfully we are eating here in Thailand than we did in Vietnam. We are in a more expensive part of Thailand. So we don't go out to eat very much (no Phad Thai booths). Luckily, our great room has a partial kitchen. It has a microwave, a sink and a toaster. Unfortunately, the local "supermarket (read: minimart)" is woefully undertstocked and we can't buy much more than ramen and bread. I made ramen and it was so spicey that even Jason said it was inedible. The next time I made it, I used only a quarter of the spice packet and it still nearly killed us. Cheese here is expensive but Jason and I have been living off of it. We get the processed kind (the cheapest) and microwave little grilled cheese sandwhiches for ourselves. We are on our third cheese packet and 5th loaf of bread. Wow. Today Jason bought me some Nutella (bless his heart) and made me nutella/banana toast! yum yum.

So who knows, maybe sometime soon, their "hello, you are fat" comments will have more merit.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok,I know I'm not supposed to do this but... Larissaa your beautiful. Not even a little bit fat! I suspect your BMI is about 21. That settles it - a medical diagnosis of skinny.

Love you guys.

Anonymous said...

Hello, you are perfect! I know you already know that, but I had to say it anyway...

The summer that I turned 18 I spent in Houston with a group of health nuts that made most of the food inedible by putting peanut butter on it. After awhile and for a few years after, the mere presence of peanut butter on the table took my apetite away. I survived that summer by eating a couple of processed cheese sandwiches every night when I got back to the host house where I was staying. Every once in awhile I still have to have one late at night just for old times sake. They also had a lot of cockroaches there, so it was kinda like being in a foreign country for me...

Well, have a good one! I think I'll go make a sandwich right now!

Anonymous said...

I do have to say that cheese sandwiches sound WAY BETTER than snails and lemon grass!

Anonymous said...

haha i liked uncle lorens comment. and of course you are not fat! if you were going to build an average thai girl it would be a skeleton out of about five pounds of hollow bird bones with a couple of pounds of skin stretched over the whole thing. hehe. well i didn't mean to make them sound ugly or anything because they are very pretty, but they are just eensy. and they eat hardly anything. they are just not used to voluptous. which is lovely, and what you are. so now you have your slightly fished for compliments. :) i remember that spicey ramen. it was nutso. we ate some for breakfast once and i couldn't belive how spciey it was. there are some little kid ramens with little tofuish textured winnie the pooh floaty things in them that might be to your guys taste. they were like ten cents each when my sister and i bought them even though you need to eat like three it's still pretty cheap.

Anonymous said...

If you are "fat" that means I am too since we wear the same size...but I'm pretty darn sure that you are skinny!!!I guess thinness is in the eye of the beholder...Maybe you should go visit a sumo wrestling convention! Larissa, you are such a good writer...maybe I'm just in critique mode with all the Rhetoric and Journalism influences in my life but I really enjoy your stuff and you made me laugh out loud several times. Had a big A&P test today...my brain is still shorting-out with all the cramming I did. Love you, TIF

Anonymous said...

I would love to be as skinny as you, Larissa. They are tiny and they're just not used to tall, beautiful women. Still, I'm sure it must not feel good. You are beautiful and very slim.
Enjoy your nutella!

Anonymous said...

Hello! Tuk-tuk! hehe. I gotta say who ever said that is ridiculous... your not fat!

Larissa said...

Thank you everyone! Jason and I ate about 8 peices of Nutella/banana toast today. We decided to give them something to talk about. :]

Anonymous said...

Hello Mr. & Mrs.
You go Phi Phi?
I hope so
You have good time.
Bye Bye
:)

Anonymous said...

URBAN DICTIONARY DEFINITION OF PHAT
1. cool
2. Pretty Hot And Tempting
Dude! That.... is phat!
3. you are PHAT!

4. a means for men to call a woman fat without consequence of death or severe pain
A word used by white suburban kids who think they are gangster to describe something "cool".
5. Used in the old south sometime in the 1800's to describe a beautiful white girl with pretty hips and thighs..Phat "Well, I reckon that youngin is PHAT

6.Thick or heavy, as opposed to F-A-T which means adipose. Originated with Jazz musicians to describe sounds. Later used by rockers to describe tones produced by distorting signals (as from electric guitars).