Thursday, April 20, 2006

Canyoning!

For my birthday, Jason took me canyoning! In the US, they call it canyoneering. I am not sure about the spelling.
This is about the most fun I have had in my life. Canyoning is basically following a creek up or down a canyon. We followed the canyon down river. SO much fun. Jason saw the poster and knew immediately that I would love it. Many times we have passed a creek and I have said, "Man, I wish I could just follow that creek......in the the creek." That is exactly what we did. It was really cold water but we had thick wetsuits and hoods and gloves and wetsuit socks. So we were fine. Jason's hat didn't fit over his gigantic noggin.

There were some parts that we had to repel down.

Other times, we jumped



or slid on our bellies

or bums.


I think I may have a new hobby.

Unfortunately, canyoning used to be popular in the US about 15 years ago but now it isn't as popular. Maybe we can change that yes?

Don't worry about that blood, it is just from the pressure of the water. He wasn't injured.

Today was finally sunny! We got some great pictures around Bled. Here is a nice spring picture:

Here is the island with the church and the castle is on the cliff in the background. Those are the Julian Alps in the background.

Jason decided to go ahead and go kayaking. He went with the same people who took us canyoning. They are a really great outdoor adventure agency. They have good prices and the people are really laid back and nice. Compared to Vietnam and Thailand, they are AMAZING! Here is their website. So if you ever come to Slovenia, look them up! Anyway, Jason said it was an amazing time. The water was crystal clear and he went down the river with a really good guide. Jason said he can do tons of amazing tricks. I only saw him do a cartwheel which I got a picture of Jason doing.

Jason said he messed up in this picture but I can't tell. He got to float passed a couple cool river villages and got to go down come class 3 and 4 rapids.
Thank you for all your happy birthday comments! See you soon!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my word! I am INSANELY JEALOUS!!! I want to go canyoning! I could make a hobby out of that! Find a creek in Bend and I will come Canyoning with you! I am glad you had this fabulous experience on your birthday! PERFECT! Thanks for all the WONDERFUL pictures!!! My cup is full!

Anonymous said...

Looks like you're having so much fun!!!I'm glad you had such a good birthday, Larissa. Love you lots. Ann

Anonymous said...

Don'tworry about the blood - you sound like a PA already! Looks like great fun.
15 days more. Enjoy.

Robert said...

Hey, check my blog.

You guys are crazy! Where did you go canyoning?

And when will you get here?

Anonymous said...

According to Money magazine, PA is the #5 best career in America right now...

Anonymous said...

canyoning seems so awesome!! you've inspired me. angleo and i have been debating where to go this summer, but now i think the debate is over. slovenia here we come!!

Anonymous said...

Canyoning looks like wild amounts of fun, we will have to check in to it here in Bend, come on over Mahi!

Anonymous said...

WOW canyoning looks amazing! I'm so jealous but I'm glad you had a great birthday! I had no idea Slovenia was such a neat place. You could open a canyoning tour company over here in the US...but then again...PA is one of the top 5 jobs. I'm thinking about being a genetic counselor...(a job also on the rise). Miss you

Anonymous said...

10 days...

Anonymous said...

how fun! looks like a blast. hehe jason's nose bleeds if you just look at it too hard. what a good birthday present. looking forward to seeing you guys soon.

Anonymous said...

I just counted again and it's STILL 10 days! Where ARE you guys? I hope you are having a wonderful time in Bonnaire! Love you!