Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Prague Airport

We have successfully made our way from Cape Town to Johannesburg through Paris, and now to Prague. We have a few hours here before flying to Slovenia. We have found a nice little internet cafe here at the airport. The only thing that is required for use of the internet is the purchase of a drink. Unfortunately, it is a coffee place, and neither Larissa or I have learned to like coffee. I am uneducated when it comes to distinguishing between the various coffee drinks that are available. I knew that I had a mild liking for either espressos or cappucinos, but wasn't sure which. Larissa took off to look at some magazines or something just as I was ready to pick out a drink, so I was left without any counsel. I took a guess and ordered the espresso, which turned out to be the wrong guess. I don't know whether it is required of a patron to actually drink what he or she orders to be able to use the internet, but we have tried our best to down the drink just in case.

We would like to inform you of some very happy news in regard to some stupid mistakes we have made recently. I told you about my scraping up the bumper of our rental car. It turns out that the rental agency was not concerned about it, so we were not held responsible. Yesterday we showed up at the Cape Town airport a full hour after our flight had departed. For some reason we both thought that our flight was leaving at noon rather than at 10:00am. I think we are becoming a bit complacent in our fulfilling our travel duties, like double checking flight times. Larissa put on a good act at the ticketing counter, convincing the agent that we were very surprised that there was not a flight leaving at noon, and that we had missed the flight that we were booked for. When she dropped her head and gasped I think that the agent felt some sympathy for us, as she proved to be very helpful in getting us on the next flight. Fortunately we made it to Johannesburg in time to catch our flight to Paris.

We will be staying in an apartment in Ljubljana (pronounced Lee-yoob-lee-yana) for the next three nights before heading to Hungary. The place is supposed to have a washer and dryer (very exciting) and four bicycles for us to use to get around town. So, if there is anyone who would like to join us, we should have an extra bed and some extra sets of wheels.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm posting the first comment! i've never posted the first one before! always the second or third. now i feel like superfriend posting first, or superdork. but hey i was just checking what you guys were up to over breakfast. it's seems i don't actually have anything to say though.... that was lucky about the flight. larissa has always been quite the thespian.

Anonymous said...

The only reason you got to be first, Danelle, was that Randy got a new laptop and is reconfiguring our home computer network and I have no internet at home today. But, I'm glad you had this experience because you are a faithful "poster" and I think you deserve it!

I'm with you on the whole espresso thing. Very bitter... Try the Capaccino or a Latte, or better yet, don't develop a taste for it. You'll save yourselves the problem of ever trying to get off the stuff. I "quit" drinking coffee about 17 times per year until this year and I have just committed myself to it until I am done with school. Gotta stay awake during those LOOOONG 3 hour lectures I am forced to endure.

Glad you got a short stint in the most beautiful city in the world, so I hear. (Prague) Sure wish we could catch a plane to Ljubljana so we could ride bikes around with you. We had so much fun doing that at Orcas Island with you last summer. Oh well, we have neither the time nor the money right now. Enjoy the last 30 days of your trip as much as you can!

Anonymous said...

Sorry that you did not get to spend more time in Prague. But have a good time in Slovenia. Looks like Friday will be the only day you will be able to ride a bike, according to the weather.com report; unless you have time on Saturday before you leave. Same kind of weather in Hungary, if you are going to Budapest. All the other cities in Hungary I have never heard of, so I made a wild guess and picked Budapest, just in case. But I am sure that there are other interesting places to visit and things to do besides being outside in the rain. Come to Texas - it has been in the 70s and 80s and no rain to speak of. But it looks like we might get some tonight or tomorrow. Pollen and mold count are up, though - sneeze, sneeze :(

Anonymous said...

Just checking the time difference now - it is almost 9:30 p.m. your time in Central Europe Summer Time. We just went to daylight saving time here, also. It is almost 2:30 p.m. here, so you are 7 hours later than we are - 9 hours later than the West Coast of the good old U.S. of A. Have a good sleep tonight! Love you both!!!

Anonymous said...

Nice move in the airport Larissa. Jason your backpack is in the US (MA for now but soon back to MI). Have fun in Europe. Its nice to have you a little closer to home.

Love ya.

CëRïSë said...

Extra bed AND wheels? Wow, do I ever wish I could take you up on the offer of visiting! I adored Prague, but have never been to Slovenia.

Anonymous said...

It sure is tempting to just jump on my private jet and see you guys for a few days, however I am sick with such a cold at this time I don't think that it would be wise. I will have to be patient and see you next month. Wow...I love the sound of that!! See you next month :) Be safe and thanks again so very much for sharing your experiences with us.

Anonymous said...

You'll be relieved to know that your backpack is now in Michigan. I wish we could join you but your dad is just so very busy. But the end is in sight. We can hardly wait to see you. It's really not very long now. I love the pictures from Lesotho. I love Africa.
Ann