Monday, March 20, 2006

Lesotho

We had a very nice and restful time in South Africa. It was nice having a Sabbath at a home. On Sabbath, we went to their church. It is called the Southern Suburbs church and it was their 70th Anniversary. They had a special potluck service and it was quite good. Then Pastor Harris' son took us to the airport. We had a wonderful time and the Harris' made everything so restful and nice for us. Pastor Harris' wife, Alet gave me some recipes that I got to try while we were there. She makes some amazing things. Like carob bars! Usually I don't like carob but WOW! These were good, I would rather eat them than real chocolate! Anyway, we got on our plane and headed off to Lesotho (pronounced Less-oo-too). We landed safely and wen through customs but there was no one there to meet us. We didn't mind and we were just going to sit there and wait but then the lady told us they were closing the airport at 6 pm. That was only 15 minutes away!! We had forgotten to get the hospitals number and the phones didn't work anyway so we were in trouble. There was a nice man in the back though that let us use the airport special phone and we got a hold of the doctor in Maluti. He said someone should be there shortly. They were and we had a long trip to the hospital. I have to type fast because the connection ehre is incredibly slow but really expensive.

Yesterday we got a tour around the facilities here and got to meet Neo. He was abondoned by his mother and came to the hospital when he was 9 months old. He is now a little over a year old. He is HIV negative. They don't have an adoption serivce here in Lesotho so they are just keeping him at the hospital until they figure out something to do with him. A lady with an orphanage wants to take him because she gets money for every baby in there but they checked out her facilites and decided it was too bad of a place for him. He is a sweetie. I wish I could include a picture but it isn't letting me. It is very annoying. If you want a picture of him I can email you one but it isn't letting me upload pictures. I don't know if it will let me post this even. Well, we will try to write more later.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

After I read your post from Lesotho I looked at the time zone chart and I think that you must have just finished your posting! It is 8:52 a.m. here now. So glad that you arrived safely in Lesotho, and that you had an Oasis in the desert in Joburg for Sabbath. That is terriffic! I just got to work so I had better get busy. Love you both!!!!

Anonymous said...

We don't need a picture of the baby - just bring him home! He can't just grow up in a hospital!!!

Anonymous said...

You guys listening? Mahi said bring the babe home. That would make her a grandma and you parents. Sounds fine to me.

Wish I were there. (OK, just a little jealousy.)

Luvya.

Anonymous said...

I know you're going to love it there! You're already falling in love with this little boy and you just got there. Mission service really grows on you. Not only will you have the opportunity to help others but you'll be blessed in the process. I'll be praying for you during your time there. I wish I were there with you. Love you. Ann

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know I still come here every morning to see if you've been back! I eagerly await your next post. I hope you haven't fallen in love with too many little orphans because we only have 2 extra bedrooms. Loren and Ann on the other hand, can accomodate quite a few, so I guess you could bring a bus load and we can divie them up!

Anonymous said...

hey guys,

good to hear that everything is working out for you. sounds like you may have a great experience out there. who knows jason may even really fall in love with being a doctor. :) can't wait to see pictures. those little orphans just attach themselves to your heart like little barnacles don't they? thing is they never leave. i still sometimes have dreams about the little guys i met in guatamala and i was only there a couple weeks. much love to you guys. oh and the cruise was very nice indeed. hehe. yay for roatan.