Friday, March 17, 2006

South Africa ....and Beyond!

We had two very long flights in the last two days. The first was 13 hours from Singapore to Paris, the second was 11 hours from Paris to Johannesburg. They were both overnight flights so we slept in the plane. Air France has VERY nice service though so we slept rather well! I (Larissa) was surprised at myself. I think I slept about 8 hours the first night. When I woke up Jason said, "I am so proud of you! You just laid your head back and went to sleep like a mature old women. Instead of getting into all these weird positions first." I made sure that was a compliment.

We sat in the Paris airpot for about 12 hours. We could have taken the train into the city for not much money but we had both forgotten that cold existed so we packed we only had sandals and shorts/skirt on. The rest was in our checked baggage alas. We didn't think we would have much fun walking around Paris when it was below freezing out. Anyway, we stop back through Paris for a couple days on the way back so we should get some good sightseeing in then.

We ate our chips and salsa in the airport because all the food was WAY too expensive to stomach. For example: You know those 1/4 can of pringles? Those would have cost us around 3 euro! which is like... almost 4 dollars. An average slice of pizza was 5 euro. So we ignored our stomachs and then finally gave in to eating our chips and salsa and it was heaven.

We are here in Johannesburg now! Our good South African-American friends got this medical mission trip set up for us and for that we are very grateful! They thought they could have a friend of theirs meet us but they were going to get back to us to let us know for sure. Unfortunately, we weren't able to check our email in Paris so we didn't know whether anyone would be there to meet us or not. We walked out of the terminal and immediately saw a man holding a sign with the words "Around the World in 4 Months Jason and Larissa"underneath which he held the latest copy of the Adventist Review. We knew this was our man and we were VERY happy to see someone! Eddie is his name and he works at the SDA conference here. Jason will continue this post from here on out since I am running out of time on my internet.

So we have enjoyed touring around parts of Johannesburg. We went to a flee market earlier that had lots of nice African crafts and such. Then we toured a food donation center, where were met with great hospitality. After recieving a nice tour of the facilities, and told numerous stories of generous donations, we were treated to a very nice meal. I was especially excited to get to eat a few apples, something that we have had to do without for awhile.

Looks like we are going to do some more looking around and then head back to the Pastor's house. Tomorrow we will be off to Lesotho, which we just found out is pronounced Lesootoo, or close to it.

Home internet access is by the minute, and apparently very expensive, so we may not be able to post from Lesotho. If not, be assured that we are thinking of you all, and having a great time.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jason and Larissa. I'm back home and glad to read what I've missed in the past week. I saw Linda at Meijer's yesterday and she told me that her friend was going to meet you in Joburg. I was delighted to hear that. It is always nice to see a friendly face when you're traveling and to have someone take you around a bit. I tried to call you while you were at their home but I wasn't able to get through. I'm so glad you guys are feeling better and having a good time. Love you dearly. Ann

Anonymous said...

Hi Kiddos, It sounds like all is well and you are in for more exciting adventures! 12 hours in an airport doesn't sound like much fun, I wish they would put racquet ball courts and movie theatres in airports, it would make traveling so much more fun. Thanks again for taking the time to post your adventures! Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Hey guys. Glad you made it OK to SA. It sounds like you will be taken care of very well. I have caught up on your last two posts and enjoyed them very much. thanks for taking the time to keep us up-to-date.
Love you.

Anonymous said...

Well I just got back from camping and living out of a backpack for 3 days...I was thinking, "Could I do this for 4 months?" SA sounds awesome and I can't wait to hear more. Oh and the comment by Momz that suggested raquetball courts and theaters in airports is GENIUS!!! I think I'll look into that! Can't wait to hear more about Africa! Love, TIF